Friday, October 19, 2012

Nexus 7 Status 7

The Nexus 7 is by far the best purchase I have ever made. I haven't been able to put it down since I first got it. There are a few things that bug me like no back-facing camera and the screen flicker, which apparently is a hardware flaw, I would take it back, however it doesn't really bother me that much yet. Also the angle of the front-facing camera, makes it a bit awkward to use. Other than that, it's just an amazing product.

Google Nexus 7 Black Wi-Fi 16GB Tablet - NEXUS7ASUS1B16 (Google Affiliate Ad)

As you might have guess, the first thing I did with my Nexus 7 was unlock the boot loader and rooted it. Which was very easy to do using the Nexus 7 Toolkit. I installed all my favorite apps like Titanium Backup, GrooVeIP and updated all the Google apps. The Nexus 7 became my main device for everything that I do on the internet. I never leave home without it.

When I heard that the 4.1.2 update was available, I quickly download it and begun the update process. I wasn't gonna wait for the Google Nexus servers to finally let me update. However, I was very sadden when my Nexus 7 would not accept the update. At the time I was using ClockworkMod Touch Recovery, and I was getting the error Status 7. Which basically means, from what I can gather from a couple of hours of research, that during the update process, the update was unable to find part of the original ROM. This means that I some how modified the original ROM. At first I was perplexed because I was still using the stock ROM, so what exactly did I change. Closer look into the error, I could see that it was stopping at Google Chrome, and that's when it occurred to me. I did in fact modify the ROM using Titanium Backup. Titanium Backup has a feature that lets you integrate app updates into the system apps to save room on the device. The update was searching for the original Google Chrome version that came with the stock ROM, which wasn't there, returning the error Status 7.

So if you're are getting the error Status 7 and want to update your device, you'll have to flash the Google Stock Rom. This can also be done very easily with the Nexus 7 Toolkit. Just make sure you back up everything first because this will delete everything. Hope this helps, for those that might have the same problem I had. =)

Also, updating the Nexus 7 to 4.1.2 will unroot the device. Easiest way to counter this is to use Voodoo OTA RootKeeper.

Other Useful Links: Manually Update Your Nexus 7


1 comment:

  1. I am using Google nexus from last month. It was working fantastic till I hadn’t upgraded it to Android 4.2.1. After upgrading it my device screen started flicking. Usually you cannot figure it out if it’s due to faulty hardware or a software issue, but the flicker can be seen more easily on white backgrounds. The flicker also becomes more noticeable in weak WiFi signals. But I got its solution which worked fantastic for me. If any of you are also having this same issue with your Nexus, must try these solutions. Any revert back would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete